Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Keep It Going

Hey Everyone,

I have been working nonstop the last 3 days to try to get some better offers for myself. I have talked to former opponents, future opponents, coaches, agents, even God. Deciding where to go to play a game for money shouldn't be this hard, but it really is. It has been interesting. It all started when I discovered the job market page on Eurobasket.com. It is very off when it comes to what teams are actually needing players and not needing players, but it does have numerous coach emails, team emails, and gm emails. A gm is a general manager in case some of you are new to sports or have lived under a rock for some 10 to 15 years. They make a lot of personnel decisions, if not all of them. I seriously have been writing them all down even in the best leagues in Europe, and emailing every damn email address there is on the site. I could tell you what the emails say, but then I'd have to kill you. Anyways, everything immediately picked up from there. I have recieved some strange offers from the situation. I think I mentioned the offer in a prior post that offered me 1100 euros per month to play, and then they would pay me double that if I was willing to teach 20 hours of English at the local college? Me, a teacher, that is just a hilarious idea. I could have got a start on a teaching job and basketball career at the same time. Darn, too bad had to pass on that one. I got an offer in Ireland to work on my masters and get it paid for instead of getting paid to play. Sorry, that is just not going to happen, I don't even have my first degree. I have really picked up in the interest though, and I now have contacts in the UK, Germany, Finland, Denmark, Ireland, Mexico, Argentina, and in the PBL (US). I hope to keep getting offers and opportunities brought to me, but there is a current offer on the table that may become a deal. Science City Jena, a Pro A team in Germany, had offered me 2800 euros/per month with some incentives. I was considering that dollar amount but supposedly at too slow of a pace, so now their coach wants to talk to me as soon as possible (probably tomorrow) and the agent thinks they might raise their offer substantially. If this is so, along with working out some other kinks, this may be the one. The Pro A league is the 2nd German League and is usually a good stepping stone for players to get to where they want to be. They have lenient rules on import players so the league is quite tough. The Pro B and Pro A used to be one league, then they broke it apart and the best teams went to the Pro A and the lower teams went to the Pro B. It will be interesting to see how the conversation goes. By the way congratulations to Cassy Kohs for graduating high school, I never thought she would! I am just messing but I will be attending her party for doing so this weekend!

N I C K K O H S T E R I Z E D

No comments:

Post a Comment